20 Ways to Support Ethiopia Reads.
Your class, school, or club can help Ethiopia Reads publish books and plant libraries in this African country. Here are 20 ways to participate and become a Friends of Ethiopia Reads Partner.
- PENNY POWER! Place a penny jar or piggy bank in a strategic place. Fill the jar or bank with loose change. At $1 a book to publish in Ethiopia, how many books will your pennies buy? Be sure the jar or piggy bank is a BIG one!
- Organize a book drive to collect new and high‐quality used books for one of our libraries.
- QUIET TIME! Kids can raise money by pledging, say, 1/2 hour of quiet reading and no bugging of parents in exchange for a donation.
- Ask for pledges for every book you read. Read lots of books!
- Host a "Bring a Book! Buy a Book!" used book sale. Students and/or teachers bring in books. On a designated day, books are sold.
- Make a video of teachers or students reading a favorite book for Ethiopian teachers and children to watch and enjoy.
- Have a chili dinner, spaghetti dinner or pancake breakfast to raise money for Ethiopia Reads.
- Write a book about your school, illustrate it and dedicate it to the children of one of our libraries.
- Have a bake sale, toy sale or rummage sale.
- Have a book party with refreshments, decorations and lots of books.
- Have a raffle or auction of used books, games, educational toys, children's framed art work, etc. Staff members can donate items or services to raffle or auction. For example, Mrs. Jones might paint a picture or Mr. Smith might take a student golfing.
- Plan a reading night. Parents and students come together. Bring pillows, blankets and books. Read together in the gym. Have pizza for dinner. Have a storyteller. Give books as door prizes.
- Ask a bookstore in your community to provide books for a book sale and give a portion of the proceeds to Ethiopia Reads.
- Dress Up Day. Come to school as your favorite book character.
- Organize a camp for a nonschool day with reading and fun activities, charging $ for kids to comes. This is similar to reading night or book party.
- Host an Imaginary Coffee/Tea Party! Send an invitation to your friends and family to an imaginary party. There is no need to dress up, no need to RSVP, friends and family can just stay home, have fun, and make a donation to Ethiopia Reads.
- Create a children's cookbook with students' favorite recipes. Don't forget to illustrate the recipes. Sell to family and friends.
- Make posters of the front cover of your favorite books.
- Have a nonevent party. For example, send invitations to a "Make Believe Tea Party". Send a teabag and invite everyone to sit in the comfort of their home with a cup of tea and read their favorite book. Include a self addressed envelope and donation card to help children in Ethiopia learn to read.
- Make drawings to hang on the walls of one of our libraries.
Contact us with your project idea to have it listed with others from across the United States.
Send completed projects to be delivered to Ethiopia and donations to:
P.O. Box 581302
Minneapolis, MN 55458
or Donate Online
Sunday, April 04, 2010